Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cookies, again? But it is fall!

Pin It

I love to volunteer. I love to bake. So when the church's "Angel Food" network called and needed help I said sure. She started asking for a veggie tray and dip. "Sorry", I interrupted. "is there anything they need that actually needs to cook?" So when she tentatively asked me to bake 4 dozen cookies, I was totally relieved. I can whip up 6 dozen (4 for church, 2 for us) in far less time than it takes to clean and slice veggies. And anyone who knows me, knows how I feel about veggie trays. Unsanitary, boring to eat, boring to make, give me a salad for my veggies and a chicken wing for an appetizer! So cookies..

I headed to the park yesterday for a brisk walk with Debbie Rocker. The temperature was 59 when I left the house. It had warmed nicely to 70 by the time I got home, but I was all about fall baking. I pulled out a trusty book called The All-American Cookie Book by Nancy Baggett. There is the recipe for Farmers' Favorite Molasses Cookies. I have a note written in the margin. In November 2005, Christina and I shopped at an outdoor mall. We went to Starbucks for coffee and shared a molasses cookie that was out of this world. I experimented with a few recipes and settled on this one. Molasses, ginger, cinnamon, it tastes like fall. I'd like to try it with brown sugar instead of white, but they are really perfect. Don't over bake and they will stay soft inside, and they have a sugary, crunchy exterior. I can hardly wait for hot, spiced cider. Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment