Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Cure For the Common Cold

Pin It

AhhhhhChooo! That is me, over and over again. My nose is runny and raw. My joints ache and I am living in a fog. I hate being sick. Honestly, I hardly ever succumb to it. I can usually feel it coming on and pound the EmergenC, the Advil and the power of positive thinking. But not this one. Scott got off a plane over a week ago and said his seat mate was coughing and hacking the entire trip, the type of virus transmittal that hand sanitizer just can't touch. It took a good 4 days to incubate and then hit him like a ton of bricks. He did a dandy job of self diagnosis and started a ZPak. It took 3 days, but then I got it. A milder version, no psychedelic snot, so no infection, just a nasty cold. Blech.

So this is the reason I have no Daring Bakers Tiramisu post. I'll get there, it'll be excessively late. This is the reason we are eating thawed and reheated Minestrone, ordering pizza, turkey burgers. I don't feel like cooking, baking and certainly not doing dishes. But oh, that Minestrone. Then I realized I have never blogged my soup. My yummy Tuscany Bean Soup. There is always some in the freezer for times like these.

Tuscany Bean Soup
2 T Olive Oil
1# Sweet Italian Sausage
2 Medium Onions, peeled and diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Carrots, peeled and diced
2 Celery Ribs, peeled and diced
1 can Canellini Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Qt. or more as needed Chicken Stock
1 can Quartered Artichoke Hearts
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 small can Black Olives
1 Small bag Fresh spinach
1/4 cup chopped Fresh Parsley
1/4 cup chopped Fresh Tarragon
¾ cup Sherry
¼ cup Sugar
¼ cup White Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

Heat the oil in a 6 qt. pot and add sliced sausage. Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent. Add celery and carrots and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add beans, broth, tomatoes and olives.. Season to taste with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Add artichokes, vinegar, sugar and sherry. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add parsley and tarragon. I like to add tortellini or mini ravioli too. Sometimes I add and subtract ingredients, zucchini, mushrooms whatever. It freezes very well although tortellini get mushy being reheated. I suggest adding fresh red bell pepper to reheated soup for a fresh crunch.

And don't forget the Queen of Condiments, Crystal Hot Sauce, that opens up the sinuses. The magic cure. Put it in everything, it even helps a sore throat. Make sure you have chapstick though, because it is murder on chapped lips!
I was feeing guilty hanging out in sweats all day. Watching movies, spending hours on theInternet, playing Bejewled, reading books. Then I realized, God, I love being sick.

I'll be back with Tiramisu when the sun is shining and I am breathing free and clear. Until then...Netflix upload!
My Movie Buddies

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to try your soup. But how much does it make? I am thinking I might half the recipe. I hope you feel better. Bryan is sick too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

    Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information or contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile.

    ReplyDelete