Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sweet and Salty Daisy Doodles

Pin It
So, these cookies are already a family favorite. I have a million names for them, but nothing that really fits it. So I thought about all of my favorite cookie names, and I keep coming back to Snickerdoodle. I love that name, but not a big fan of the cookie. I even used to call my son Nic, Snickerdoodle, (I'm sure he appreciates me pointing that out). So, if I morph Snickerdoodle with my very favorite dog ever, Daisy, I get a Daisy Doodle. Sounds like a cookie I would love~

I have made them many times, and I think the big attraction is the salt that sneaks into the chocolate for a wow! moment. So it got me thinking, what if I skipped the salt and added some salted nuts? Would I get that sweet/salty combo I love? Why not try, right? Or, what about these amazing pecans we got at Christmas? They are unsalted, but they may fit nicely into the recipe as it is. These cookies are SO easy, I do everything in the food processor. Of course it has morphed and changed since I first posted it, so here we go again.My favorite nuts come from Trader Joe's, and I am thrilled to be moving to Nashville where I'll have one! The salted, shelled pistachios are delicious and the macadamia nuts from Australia are delicious. I decided to whip up a batch of cookies, and I basically divided the batter into three parts. I left one pure and chocolately, dropped the pistachios in one, and the macadamias, (chopped) in one. I think the macadamia nuts worked the best with the dark chocolate. The pistachios seemed to get a little lost, and of course the no nut version is as good as always, perhaps still the favorite. I am thinking I may try some dried cherries, maybe some toffee, even orange is delicious with dark chocolate. So lots of experimenting to come.

Daisy Doodles

5 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon Instant Espresso
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Cup flour
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher)
½ c. nuts (if they are salted, omit the salt)

Process chocolate and sugar with steel blade for 2 minutes or until fine. Add butter, eggs, coffee and vanilla. Blend until fluffy. Scrape down sides.
Add flour, chocolate chunks, salt, and nuts. Process using on/off pulse until just combined. Do not over process.

Mound dough onto sheets in 2-3 Tablespoon clumps about 2" apart. Bake 12 minutes at 350, rotating sheets halfway through. Cookies should be slightly firm to touch, but careful not to over bake. Cool on rack.
Makes about 2 dozen plus a few. They are seriously rich, so I like to make them smaller, but watch the baking time, gooey is what you aim for! So, what are ya waiting for? Get in there and bake!

1 comment: