Monday, May 7, 2012

Secret Recipe Club Rock Me Roasted Garbanzo Beans

Pin It



These are the spicy ones!
I am one of those people that gets the email for my next spy mission for Secret Recipe Club, and I immediately begin the stalking process.  I was pretty sure after my first visit to This Chick Cooks that I was making Peanut Butter Balls.  My husband loves Buckeyes, and I thought it would be great to make them "not at Christmas" and a little healthier.  His original recipe calls for wax to be melted in the chocolate.  Wax.  Ew.  So a week or so passes, and I hit up This Chick Cooks again, and there is her latest post proclaiming Roasted Chickpeas That Will Rock Your World.  Hmm, I tried to make these once.  I had to go to Whole Foods (not close) to buy dried Chickpeas, they were not cheap.  I tossed them in olive oil and spices and baked them.  I thought I was going to crack a molar.  It was like eating pebbles.  So when Katie proclaimed to the entire blogosphere that she could Rock My World, I was all in.  Boy, I was not disappointed.  But I must digress for a sec, because I made roasted fresh garbanzo beans.  They were crazy good!

Here's how it went. And I changed the name to entice you to try them!

Basque Red Pepper
Rock Me Roasted Garbanzo Beans: Spicy
1 can Garbanzo Beans, rinsed
1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Piment d'Espelette (I used this French red pepper, she used Paprika)
dash cayenne ( I used a lot of dashes, I was really wanting a beer with these)
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder

Mix it all in a bowl, spread on small cookie sheet and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.  Stir around and bake another 10-15 minutes.  I bake on convection, so 400F was a little too high.  After the first 20 minutes, I snuck a few off and they were still chewy.  After 10 more minutes, some were burned.  Darn.  But that did not stop me from eating a fair amount of them.  They were too spicy for my husband so I got them out of his way...munch munch munch and decided, I'll make more!


A little less done, ate them anyway!

Rock Me Roasted Garbanzo Beans: Ranch

1 can Garbanzo Beans, rinsed
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (a little less of my favorite oil)
1 1/2 teaspoons Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch Base

That's it.  I tossed it all and baked 20 minutes at 385F Convection, gave them a stir and another 5 and...perfection.  Salty and flavorful, no spice.  A great snack and so darn quick.  However...they weren't as crunchy as the first time.  So I wondered was it the coconut oil?  Did I take them out too soon because I didn't want them super crunchy?

Getting ready to bake.


So then I started thinking, how about something a little less salty and maybe a sweet version.  What the heck.  They are prepared and cook so fast, I could do this all day.  So batch #3 was dessert, which lends itself nicely to coconut oil, so I went at it again!

Rock Me Roasted Garbanzo Beans: Sweet

1 can Garbanzo Beans, rinsed
1 T Coconut Oil
1 1/2 teaspoons Penzey's Apple Pie Spice (it has all the good stuff in it!)
1 T sugar
pinch of salt

Mix the beans, oil, spices and sugar, and this time bake at 385F convection, for 15 minutes, stir and turn heat down to 330F Convection.  I knew that sugar would burn if the temp was too high.  Stir about every 5 minutes, for about 20.  Sweet and cinnamon!
So check out the other posts from Secret Recipe Club below!

No comments:

Post a Comment