Monday, September 17, 2012

Pistachio and White Chocolate Cookies

Pin It






 White chocolate.  Not my favorite thing.  It brings back some icky childhood memories of something that was around at Christmas called Almond Bark.  The smell makes me queasy.  I have discovered that high quality white chocolate is worth the price, but it is not part of my regular pantry.  I came across a few boxes of great white chocolate at work nearing its expiration, so I picked them up thinking I would make some macadamia nut cookies to send to Nic and Frank.  However, my freezer, although full of nuts, was void of macadamia nuts.  I am a fan of Trader Joe's and just couldn't stand buying the nuts at the local market.  So I decided it was going to be pistachio and white chocolate.  What a great decision that turned out to be!




I followed a pretty basic cookie recipe, which follows. It is credited to Curtis Stone, and of course I can never leave well enough alone.  So here's how it went for me.  I suggest pulling them out while they are still a little soft on top.  They will hold that softness even if they are frozen and thawed.  I did have some a little firmer, and they are equally as tasty, and make much better dunkers.

White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 cup Crisco (it keeps things soft after baking)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4  teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 pound good quality white chocolate chunks
1 1/2  cups shelled, toasted pistachios

Cream sugars and butter in bowl of a stand mixer.  Add vanilla, salt and eggs, mix well.  Add flour and soda and incorporate until no dryness appears.  Add nuts and chocolate.  My pistachios came from the freezer, so I gave them a quick toast in the oven to get them a little crispy.

I then chilled my dough overnight.  Drop onto parchment or Silpat covered sheets, and bake at 375 (350 convection which is how I do it) and watch until they are just getting set and browned on edges.  Cold dough takes a little longer than room temp dough.  Cool on sheets and then transfer to racks to cool completely.  My batch made about 4-5 dozen cookies.  (Curtis must make enormous cookies!)  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!



No comments:

Post a Comment