Thursday, March 13, 2014

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pin It



Way back when NOBODY but my mom was reading my blog, I was baking away making flourless (gluten free) cookies.  For no reason other than I love them!  I decided to revisit and revamp one of those old recipes.  My flourless peanut butter cookies originally called for kisses,  and I unsuccessfully used Mexican chocolate.  Today I am using dark chocolate chips.  Kisses make my teeth ache.  I also decided to amp up the fiber in these guys with some old fashioned oats. 



I made a few changes worth noting. I added an extra egg.   Also, I used both baking powder and soda.  I needed leavening here, and after consulting In the Sweet Kitchen by Regan Daley, I decided this was the way to go.  Also, after teaching a gluten free baking class, I learned a lot from the info  I used.  If you are truly going for a GF lifestyle, you become an ardent label reader.  Gluten can be found in some oatmeal, and probably many other things you wouldn't imagine.  So be your own detective!

The final cookie was nothing short of amazing.  A little flat, chewy on the inside and crunchy around the edges.  I threw them in the freezer as soon as they were cool, and Mr. Preppy had a time dunking those babies in cold milk.  They are some tasty cookies!



So what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!



Improved Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup peanut butter (I use Jif)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (you know what kind I use!)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
chocolate chips (I used a 10oz bag of Ghiradelli and it was too much)

I had chocolate chips without cookie space...

Cream the peanut butter and brown sugar.  Add the vanilla and the eggs and incorporate.  Then add dry ingredients.  When thoroughly mixed, add the chocolate chips.  Drop onto a Silpat covered baking sheet and bake at 350 ยบ for about 10 minutes.  I made pretty large cookies and the recipe yielded 2 dozen.  





No comments:

Post a Comment