Monday, June 23, 2014

Sangria!

Pin It



I will admit, I have only had Sangria in Spain.  I sipped it on the beach in Cadaques, with my mom, on the Dali trip of a lifetime.  I was shocked when I spoke to the hostess, and she said it was made with Triple Sec.  In the US, the Triple Sec must have something different and funky, because I am deathly allergic to it.  One sip of a rogue margarita and I can feel my body temperature soar.

Cadaques, Spain
I have thought about making a home version of Sangria, and the opportunity presented itself this weekend.  It was the perfect answer to my summer drinking.  I have been cutting my wine with club soda with some refreshing results.  Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio, Chard they are all lovely with a little effervescence.  So I knew my Sangria would have to sparkle.

There are a jillion recipes out there, and lots of interesting additions and variations.   I  knew after reading Bobby Flay's  that I would add pomegranate juice. Many of the recipes I saw added sugar, simple syrup or lemon lime soda. I wasn't keen on that.  My hope is that the fruit will make it sweet enough.   And, the last site I went to suggested rose wine.  That, I was really loving.  I would direct you there, but there are too many pop up advertisements that lock you in for a set amount of time before you can peruse the site.  I object.  I am all about making money, but some of these sites are nothing but ads.  Anyway, I set about using my likes from these folks and making Sangria the SweetiePetittti way.  Here's how it went.



Sweetie Petitti Sangria

1 bottle Spanish Red Wine (I used Protocolo)
1 bottle rose (mine was Portuguese)
1 cup Brandy
1/3 cup Grand Marnier
1 cup pomegranate juice
3 oranges, washed well, and thinly sliced
3 limes,  washed well, and thinly sliced
2 lemons, washed well, and thinly sliced
bunch of grapes (I used red)
small can pineapple rings, drained
1 half liter bottle club soda


In a large vessel, pour in wine, liquors, and the sliced fruit.  I reserved a few slices for serving tomorrow.  Along with some grapes.  Refrigerate for a good 24 hours so everybody can introduce themselves.  I did a little muddling about 6 hours before serving.  Right before the party, I added a chilled bottle of club soda.  Now, there is really nothing sweet about this.  It is like a fruity red wine.  I love it.  I have been sipping on it for about 3 days now.  And even with the huge amounts of alcohol, it really doesn't send off the deep end!  I can see that there is plenty of room for whatever fruit may be in season, how dark you may prefer it, how bubbly and certainly, there is a lot of room for sweetness if that's what you prefer.
So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and make Sangria!







No comments:

Post a Comment