Thursday, December 1, 2011

Nuttier Than A Fruitcake...Still!

Pin It


So yes, I used this clever title a year ago here , and even the same old elf in the photo.  But just because I changed my friend's original cookie recipe once and loved it, does not mean I will leave well enough alone.  So you can get the original back last year at the link, but I have updated it once again.  I love the elf, he must be 50 years old at least.  I wish he was a little more flexible (must be male, hahaha!) because I could envision him all over my kitchen this Christmas! But, he does appear in most of the shots, so appease me, please.  It may have been that soaking liquid I nipped on, but I had an exceptional time baking these delicious cookies!

As I stated before, I find that mixed dried fruit available at Christmas a little nasty.  No cherry I have ever seen is that red or, gasp, green.  There are so many chemicals in preserving the other fruits, I just couldn't go there.  And don't even get me started on the whole repackaged bulk stuff.  I know it comes in enormous boxes and a nice employee is scooping the fruit into plastic containers and weighing it.  I have seen them doing this in my little market while shoppers pass by, achooo, just sprinkling their germs about.  I know, I am a little nuts, so fruitcake seems like a good idea.

 Fruitcake Cookies

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs, well beaten
3/4 cup whiskey
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
1 # pecans, chopped
1 1/2# mixed dried fruit (I use raisins, dried cherries, cranberries and blueberries, and dates)
1, 11oz bag chocolate chunks
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups whole wheat flour

Soak the dried fruit (not dates) in whiskey for an hour or so, stir them often so they all plump up.  Measure off 1/2 cup of the whiskey for the cookies, set any remaining liquid aside.  In stand mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar.  Add all other ingredients and sip that leftover whiskey while you mix this all up.

Drop by tablespoon on greased sheet and bake at 350ยบ.  Cool on pan and move to rack to cool completely.  Store in covered container.  
Way better than fruitcake, and really, fruitcake-like all the same.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake! 
Just a little nip....

1 comment:

  1. Ok I LOVE the elf! especially the eye lashes.
    What a good idea re cookies, maybe I should of made these instead of all the mini cakes....next year

    ReplyDelete