Monday, February 20, 2012

Gingered Biscotti for a friend...

Pin It


Purple Ribbons for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness


I think we've all been there.  You get a phone call, an email, a text with the bad news that someone you love is fighting cancer.  It's crazy how this disease creeps up into the healthiest people I know.  My sister Lori, her story is here, had her one year checkup and she is clear!  Her celebratory cookies come in April when she comes to visit me.  But my friend Ned is fighting as we write. I made the purple ribbons above for him last month.  They are the awarenss ribbon for pancreatic cancer.  Part of the problem is that you need your strength to give it the good fight, and the drugs tear away at that feeling.  The nausea has been hard, and if your nauseous, it's hard to eat and build up strength.  One of my favorite anti-nausea remedies is ginger.  So along with praying for Ned, I'm baking him some Ginger Biscotti.  This is not my first go around with these, I made them a few years back.  The original recipe is great, but I always had issues binding it, so I revamped it.  The original was "light" with little fat.  I know Ned needs calories, so I went with the yolks for more flavor and more substance.  I decided all the health benefits of coconut oil were in order over butter, and I totally upped the ginger.
Boxed and ready to go!





The New White Chocolate and Ginger Biscotti

2 cups flour
2/3 cups light muscovado sugar
1/3 cup crystallized ginger chips
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix well.  Make sure your sugar isn't lumpy.
In another bowl, mix

2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil (organic, virgin and unrefined please)
1 egg
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons milk
5 oz. white chocolate chips
Bake at 350 until browned, then slice and rebake to crisp.

Mix wet and dry together, and form 2 logs on a lined baking sheet.  Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 F.  Remove from oven and crank temp down to about 325.  Slice the semi cooled logs and bake again for about 5 minutes each side to crisp up.

The result was far better than the original.  I mean so good....I still don't know what the thing is about white chocolate, which I detest, when it is baked into these cookies with the ginger.  The flavor is so different, and so delicious!  So, what are you waiting for?  I know you have someone to bake for!


2 comments:

  1. The biscotti. Sound great! Really awesome. I am sure they will be a big help for your friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple colour but I am so sorry Ned is fighting the battle. I wish him well and a strong fight.
    I don't know a family cancer hasn't reared it's ugly head.

    GInger biscotti is a wonderful idea- what a fabulous friend you are x

    ReplyDelete