Thursday, August 9, 2012

Nic's Sugar Cookies

Pin It


 So everyone knows I make sugar cookies.  Chances are if we're friends, and there is an event in your life, and my life is not crazy out of control, there's a good chance you'll get cookies.  My crazy little brain thinks up all kinds of kooky cookie ideas, but there really aren't enough days in the year!  However, not everyone thinks I am all that and a bag of chips...I did a blog awhile back called The Cobbler Kid's Brownies when my family was feeling left out of the sweet rotation.  

So this week I baked up some Superhero sugar cookies for an event at the store to benefit Share Our Strength.  A mission to end childhood hunger right here, where we all live.  For a small donation, a child could decorate and take home a couple of superhero cookies.  So Nic decided, that would be the only way he was going to get his hands on my cookies.  Ha Ha.  But if he wants to come at the end of the allotted time and buy up whats left, I say more power to ya, and more to Share Our Strength.  Happily, my children have no idea what hunger is.



But as the summer winds down, and my oldest (Nic)  is having his "last" of everything before he heads back to the barrens of Oklahoma, he begged me to make his kind of sugar cookies. He Googled, "Grocery Store Sugar Cookies" and found these by Gale Gand. She is a pretty accomplished chef, and she may not be crazy that her cookies fit the grocery store description, but they are far superior to them, I promise!  I followed the recipe exactly, and he was the happiest kid ever.  Soft, chewy sugar cookies with a little sugar crust on the outside.  These aren't my kind of cookie, those are in the fridge begging to be baked up tomorrow and blogged.  Cookies chock full of "stuff".  But today, it is all about Nic.  So here's the recipe, and if a crispy sugar cookie with royal icing isn't what you want, these softies will fit the bill.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!

Gale Gand's Chewy Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 Tablespoons buttermilk (I used milk and lemon juice to sour it)
Additional sugar to top cookies

Place all dry ingredients together in bowl.  In mixer, beat sugar and butter until fluffy.  Add vanilla and egg.  Add dry ingredients, and enough buttermilk to bring it together without being too wet.  Place large mounds, flattened slightly on lined cookie sheets and sprinkle a little sugar on top of each cookie.  Bake at 375 for about 9 minutes.  The edges should be golden brown.  Cool on a rack before moving them off cookie sheet.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment