Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pin It

Soft and Delicious!
So a few years back I was strolling my local Whole Foods, and I came across this.  Coconut Oil.  I really knew nothing of it, but I was certain it was bad for you. But if that were the case, why would I find it here?  I grabbed the jar and headed tot he book section and started reading.

I've tried many, but this one is my favorite!
I was fairly astonished.  It supposedly has many, many benefits.  Now, helping one lose weight seems very unlikely, but it is a wonderful oil to cook an egg, makes the very best popcorn, great for swishing in your mouth to help a mouth sore, does a miracle on dry elbows and feet. Did you hear me about the popcorn?  THE very best popcorn ever!  I give my dog a blob on her food every once in awhile, and a teaspoon in a smoothie makes it creamy and delicious.  Here's one blogger who started quite the comment thread, everyone has an opinion on this stuff!  And you may remember the little chocolates I made on a whim a while back.  Melt in your mouth! So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I decided to try it out.  The Well Traveled Wife is a charming little blog, and I am happy to send you there!  This is how the recipe goes.

Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
12 oz. chocolate chips

I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and creamed the oil and sugar.  Add the vanilla and the eggs.  Then the dry ingredients and the chips.  When it is well mixed, drop onto a cookie sheet (I use Silpats) and bake at 375 for about 8 minutes.  I rotated the sheets halfway through the baking time.

This measuring cup in the best for measuring peanut butter, Crisco, coconut oil, honey etc!  I got mine at Sur La Table.
The verdict?  You would never know.  I gave Mr. Preppy one, and he is allergic to coconut (not really, but he tells everyone this so he doesn't have to eat it!)  He had no clue.  Proclaimed them the best he has had in a long time!  They are delicious.  As with any chocolate chip cookie you could add nuts, coconut, dried fruit or any other chips.  A great way to make a less greasy and healthier (?) cookie.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment