Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Caramel Brownies With Brown Sugar Icing

Pin It


I know I need to get back to my chefs....but today I had to send out the menu for Supper Club.  I hate making menus!  I settled on a Southern theme, and decided I had better make this dessert before I ask all these other women to do so!  There is an amount of pressure when you know 20 couples are eating the food you suggested.

This recipe comes from the Women's Exchange of Memphis.  Founded in 1885, it remains a great idea.  Basically a consignment store for seamstresses and crafters, it is a volunteer organization with some of the cutest stuff around.  The very best place to buy a baby gift, and their tearoom is a popular lunch spot.  So when I came across these brownies (actually a blondie), I decided they were the perfect dessert for my menu.  My menu is more of a Sunday Dinner in the South than stuffy supper club.  We can create anything, and January always has me hankering for family food.  I guess I just miss everyone so much in January!

I made these in an 8 X 10, and they are quite thick, better for a dessert.  They can be made 9X13 which would make them thinner, not a terrible thing.  They are really rich!  Here's how they went:

Caramel Brownies With Brown Sugar Icing

2 c. light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 ¾ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
1 cup pecans, chopped


Preheat oven to 325°.  Blend butter and sugar until well beaten.  Add eggs.  When eggs are incorporated, add remaining ingredients and mix.  Pour into greased 9X13 and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Check for the sides to crisp before the center, but do not overbake!  Cool before frosting.

Brown Sugar Icing

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups powdered sugar (sifted is a good idea!)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt the butter in a saucepan, and then add the brown sugar and stir until the mixture begins to boil.  Stir constantly and boil for 2 minutes.  Add the milk and salt, bring back to a boil and then remove from heat.  Cool until lukewarm.  Add the sifted powdered sugar beating with a mixer, and add vanilla.  While the icing is pliable, spread on cooled brownies.


I am loving this whole brown sugar business, so warm and different this winter. We thought these would be delicious without the icing as well. Either way, these are a winner for sure.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment