Saturday, January 9, 2010

Throwback to Oat Bran

Pin It

The year is 1988. I probably have a perm, a fair share of mauve in my very contemporary Michigan home, a snappy bow tied at the neck of my white blouse with my navy blue suit and a cabinet full of oat bran products. Some trends really needed to go away, and my hair is most thankful. But as I worked on the 100th blog story, I came across a recipe for Oat Bran Bread, and decided this one is a keeper. A loaf has a stunning 36+ grams of fiber not including the nuts or fruit. There is no added fat like butter or oil and no sugar or honey, and nothing artificial. The recipe was featured in the Grand Rapids Press that fine year, and I remember really enjoying that food section. They profiled local cooks every week and I have other recipes from the food section. I always wanted to be a good enough cook to be featured one day. It was my favorite place to live, full of great memories and friends I still keep in touch with.



The recipe reads Walter Braunohler's Oat Bran Bread. I had to Google him to remember who he is. He is an orthopedic, and I probably called on his practice detailing pharmaceuticals back then. It couldn't be easier to make, and with a side of plain yogurt, it makes a delicious breakfast.



I made a few changes, no surprise there. I used Craisins instead of raisins because they were left over from Christmas. But the boiling in juice is a great way to use dried up, hard raisins you forgot you had. They'll plump right up! I used 100% apple juice and I used all oat products. I only buy old fashioned or steel cut oats, as they have more fiber in them. The oat flour is easier to come by than it was in 1988 because of the gluten free diets. Bob's Red Mill makes a great assortment of flours and grains, the packages are relatively small, and I store the leftovers in the freezer. And I chose walnut over pecans because of the monounsaturated fat content. Prevention seems to think they are better for you, and personally I like the taste better than pecans. Be careful not to over bake this, it takes a little guess work, but I like it a little moister. My first loaf in 20+ years was a little dry, but I resisted the urge to slather butter on it! Delicious still. Hmm, I wonder how my hair would look curly?

No comments:

Post a Comment