Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hobbit Cookies

Pin It
A Sampler of My Hobbit Cookies




Yep, you read that right.  The Hobbit.  I am going to make my confession right up front, I am not a true fan.  Wait, I loved the movie, I watched it numerous times.  I was really surprised at the humor and the story.  I never read the book.  I know, I know.  I have never seen Lord of the Rings.  But I want to, I really do.  I watch movies when I am in the kitchen cooking and baking, and the Lord requires my attention.  So I am waiting for a cold rainy day, and I am going to do a marathon.  So I am a fan, I'm just not one of those fans.  You know who you are, and I admire your passion to the story, the details and the history.  I think it is all fascinating.  I just was never introduced to Tolkien in high school.  So why Hobbit cookies, you ask?



I have an amazingly talented sister who is working on the Hobbit DVD.  Yep, I know.  It is so cool.  All her jobs have been cool.  She worked on 5th Ave in NYC, she was a stunt woman on Rescue 911, she was a producer for World's Wildest Police Videos, she met her uber-talented husband on the set of The Babe, she was stunt and he was camera operator.  She has produced a few pilots that went no where, and produced an ESPN show on the best high school basketball players.  And now, she works on the Hobbit.  So she wanted cookies for a birthday and I said yes!



Thankfully there is an amazing cookier that I found over a year ago.  Mike at SemiSweetDesigns.  Talk about talent.  He designs aircraft engines or something super technical at Boeing and decorates cookies.  Not like I decorate cookies.  This is an artist who found a bag of royal icing, and creates edible art.  Last summer he posted a tutorial on the Hobbit Door Cookies, in anticipation of the movie release.  When Lori started working for the Hobbit I knew those cookies would come in handy.  Did they ever.  I also emailed Mike and he was so nice about answering my crazy Hobbit questions.  So here is my collection.



The key, which is an important part of the movie.  The sword of course.  And the Hobbit door, which Mike and Lori suggested I put the Rune on, and I did.  As I watched the movie I was very focused on the door, and fell in love with the interior of that door.  The scrolled iron work was gorgeous,  I want that door.  And of course I had to put my favorite Tolkien saying on a cookie, Not all who wander, are lost.  Profound, really.  And lastly I wrote Happy Birthday in Elvish.  I found a Hobbit Rune Generator.  Now as I said, I am very new to this.  I had my choice of 3 different Runes, and I chose Elvish Tengwar like Gandolf uses at the end of the Third Age.  I have no idea what I just said, but the lettering was so pretty...I chose that one!



Honestly, about the most fun I have ever had making cookies.  I know my sister is so excited to get them, and she will shower me with same flattery I used on her.  We're good like that.  She is the business, I am the creative.  We are a great team.  So, I am so excited for the next movie.  Really.  I have midnight showing plans for sure.  And cookies will follow, no doubt!  So what are you waiting for?  Get in there and create!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment