Saturday, February 21, 2015

Bacon Cheeseburger Portobello Mushrooms

Pin It

Who doesn't love a cheeseburger?
This past fall, we were on the road every weekend.  Atlanta, Jackson, Nashville, Little Rock, Austin, just to name a few towns.  My rule when traveling is no chain food.  The exception is an Egg McMuffin once in awhile, but I even resist coffee chains.  We love to find that out of the way cafe, the trendy new spot or an old local hangout.  This past weekend we got up the day after Halloween, and I had a little red wine headache.  A five mile walk helped, but I was famished, and our hotel was by a Fuddruckers.  Now I haven't been to one in well over 15 years, but I needed a burger.  Needless to say, I was not disappointed.  Pretzel bun, guacamole, crispy on the edges, tender and lean.  When we got home,  I had burger on the mind.

I don't like dill relish or sweet relish, but I LOVE Wickles Relish!


As I was contemplating dinner,  I had portobello mushrooms, the smaller ones, and I usually stuff them with crab.  But it is gloomy and the cold rain is coming in,  I wanted comfort food.   I decided to invent a little burger riff of my own.  I just threw this together, and I like the idea of all the variables. Ground beef, ground turkey, bison?  Sweet relish or dill, Dijon mustard or yellow, ketchup, chili sauce even Siracha.  I used cheddar, but I know Mr. Preppy would rather have government cheese, the bright yellow American slices wrapped in plastic.  But what about blue cheese or swiss?  So many possibilities.  The mushroom cap is a great vehicle for flavor.  Here's how mine went.

Bacon Cheeseburger Portobello Mushrooms

1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms, I used baby bellas
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 pound good bacon
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 Tablespoons relish
1 cup (or so) shredded cheddar cheese
Olive oil for the pan

Cook up the bacon until crisp.  Drain and cool and then crumble.  Set aside.  Drain the grease from the pan and saute the onions until browned on the edges, and add the ground turkey.  Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, separate into fine crumbles with a spatula.  Add the ketchup, mustard, relish and mix well.  Turn heat to low and salt and pepper if needed.

Meanwhile, clean the stems and ribs from the mushrooms.  A grapefruit spoon does a good job.  Sprinkle a little cheddar in the bottom of the caps, and then fill with the ground turkey mixture.  Sprinkle with more cheese and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes.


My grapefruit spoon has a serrated edge which is good for cleaning lots of things!




A little cheese on the bottom...



A lot of cheese on top of the meat mixture!

Everything a burger has to offer, only bite size and no bun!


I served a few up with a little wedge of avocado, Mr. Preppy put a little squirt of ketchup on his.  I think a little dab of cili sauce before baking, ala 1970's meatloaf. would be good too!  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and cook!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment