Friday, February 20, 2009

Don't You Dare Disrespect My Northern Ways

Pin It
The following is from the local paper The Commercial Appeal. I was dumbstruck. The older woman who spewed this drivel is shown setting a table with gold candlesticks and white tapers (it isn't 1985 anymore) and the table is dressed in a bedspread and chiffon scarf. I can't make this garbage up! Needless to say after 4 cups of java I fired off a letter to the editor. This is personal!

Lessons in Southern Hospitality
By Fredric Koeppel (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Friday, February 20, 2009

There's entertaining, and then there's Southern entertaining.

"There's definitely a major difference," said Sally Shy, longtime socialite, former president of Memphis in May International Festival and owner of a local event-planning company.

"The Northern form of entertaining is more formal, not as loquacious and vivacious and filled with joie de vivre as it is in the South," said Shy. "Here, we go out of the way to make people comfortable. They're far more reserved in the North.

"http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/20/lessons-in-southern-hospitality/

Ahhhhh. I am too bothered to comment further. I need to go for a walk!

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting here laughing again. I had my first bout of body shaking laughs this morning when I saw the picture in the paper. Now, with your short state of outrage, I must go back and read what comments were made in the paper. When I saw the paper this morning and read the caption, my thought was: being southern born and raised, I must have missed those parties that ENTERTAINED in that manner. Oh, POOH!
    Keep this in mind, thank God not all southerners entertain in that manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you letter in the CA this morning!

    Sat night was very fun! Great getting to know you and Scott.

    Did you receive the picture that I tried to e-mail from my phone?

    If not, please e-mail me and let me know: chrissheilaferg-family@yahoo.com

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete