Monday, April 9, 2012

Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps SRC

Pin It

Dinner is served, and was it good!
So this month for the Secret Recipe Club I was assigned The Yummy Life.  Monica is a great blogger and shares lots of insight into her life in St. Louis.  Monica even has an e-book of salads and salad dressings, quite impressive.  Even more impressive is her Facebook friends list.  Yikes, over 2000 on Facebook!  I am a terrible Facebooker when it comes to my blog.  I use it to check on my college kids:)  Monica also has this funny section in her About Me that lists her likes and dislikes.  We have a lot in common!

After rummaging around her blog for a week or so, I decided to try her Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps.  I have had lettuce wraps at a few Asian restaurants, but have never made them at home, and I knew Scott would love them too!  She also has the Points value for a half cup serving, only 4.  So that was a huge selling point for me.   My ingredients are pretty much the same,  a few changes.  I used ponzu instead if soy sauce, it has a lighter flavor, kind of citrusy.  I also had no sherry, so I used seasoned rice wine vinegar. I had leftover mushrooms so tossed them in. Monica also suggests a peanut sauce and or rice.  We didn't miss the rice at all, and my family is not a fan of peanut sauce.  Her recipe makes 20 servings, so I really slashed the recipe.  I just modified for our empty nest and our disdain for leftovers!
Some of the gadgets that make cooking easier.
I had a helper with the chopping!
Asian Lettuce Wraps

1 # ground white meat turkey
2 teaspoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced
about 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
4 carrots, minced
4 oz. baby bella mushrooms
5 green onions, sliced thin, green and white parts
4 oz. water chestnuts ( half a can)
4 oz. bamboo shoots (half a can)

6 T hoisin sauce
3 T ponzu sauce
3 T seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 T Siracha
fresh cilantro
Bibb lettuce
Look at the beautiful colors...

I chopped the carrots, mushrooms, chestnuts and bamboo shoots in a counter top chopper that dices them small and uniform.  I added the ginger and garlic, and the sliced green onions.
Heat olive oil in large pan and cook the ground turkey slowly.  Crumble well.  When meat is no longer pink, add all the veggies.  Stir frequently, I cooked them about 5 minutes, we kept them still a little crunchy.  It was really dry.  So add the sauce and cook until it thickens, just a few minutes.  Add the fresh cilantro and serve in lettuce leaves.  It is messy and really delicious!
Lots of stuff in the sauce, delicious!

I seriously ate about 5 times this amount!

My recipe builder on Weight Watchers says the entire recipe is 32 points+.  We figured it was 6 servings, so 5 points a serving.  I ate 2 servings after a long day of decorating sugar cookies.  It was amazingly delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment