Saturday, July 9, 2011

I Scream For Ice Cream

Pin It

Chocolate Gelato

I always loved that ice cream ditty as a kid. But the truth is, I make ice cream about one time in the summer, I guess I am not exactly screaming for it. But it is sooo easy to make, and people just can't believe you made ice cream. As one of my friends always asks, "Did you know they sell that at the grocers in multiple flavors, already made?" Yea, but that's no fun.

On a recent trip to Michaels, I found these cute ice cream accessories. I need hobby retail therapy, I cannot help myself... I bought them. Now I had to make ice cream! Cute cardboard sugar cone covers and the little swirly colored cups with lids and little wooden spoons. Oh, I covet those little wooden spoons. I decided with a house full of hungry fireworks watchers it seemed the perfect dessert for a hot 4th of July.

Both types I made are custard based. Basically they are cooked dairy and eggs. I did run into a few issues, and found a solution. I made both Peppermint Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Gelato. My first problems came when I was cooking the custard. The first one separated into a thick gloppy mess. I knew the eggs didn't scramble when I added the cream, so they crossed the line back in the pot. A quick whir in the blender smoothed it out perfectly.

I use something called Peppermint Snow for this ice cream. It is crushed peppermint in a jar, and is sold at yes, WS during the holidays. When it hits the clearance table in January, I buy up 3 jars for a cool summer treat. Check out these bon bons from last summer. I think the ice cream would be tasty with some chocolate chunks instead of chips too. I used what I had.


Peppermint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


Peppermint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
3 cups half and half
¼ cup light corn syrup
6 egg yolks
⅓ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla paste
½ cup peppermint snow
½ cup chocolate chips or chunks

Bring 2 cups of half and half and corn syrup to a simmer in a saucepan. Remove from heat. In a metal bowl, whisk yolks and sugar and carefully add the hot cream into the egg/sugar mixture while constantly whisking. You do not want to scramble the eggs. When the hot cream is all blended in, pour back into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until the custard is thick. You want to be able to trace a path across the back of a spoon with your finger. DO NOT BOIL. If you do, note the above instructions, all is not lost.

Pour the custard through a sieve set over a bowl. Add half of the peppermint snow and stir until they are melted. It will turn the ice cream a dirty pink. This is the time to add a little pink food coloring if you like to make it prettier. Add the vanilla paste and the last cup of half and half and mix well. Cover and chill thoroughly for a good couple of hours.

Transfer to an ice cream maker and process according to the directions. Add the last of the peppermint and chocolate chips and stir in before freezing. It is best within a few hours. If it freezes longer, let it sit out for 10 minutes before scooping.

Then I went to Chocolate Gelato. Gelato is made with milk vs. cream, so it is a little lower in fat, but the curdling issue is still there. I ran into custard problems again, it seemed to curdle a little, but did not thicken. So I blended it and then put it back on the stove and it thickened rather quickly. This gelato is made with both bittersweet chocolate and Pernigotti Cocoa. To say it is rich would be an understatement. The gelato is best served right after it is made so it is smooth and creamy.

Chocolate Gelato
3 cups whole milk
6 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
½ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 Tablespoon vanilla paste
¼ cup Pernigotti Cocoa

In a saucepan bring milk to a simmer. Remove from heat and in another bowl whisk eggs, sugar and corn syrup together . Slowly add hot milk while whisking to be careful to not scramble eggs. Return it all back to saucepan and cook on low stirring until custard thickens and you can draw a path across the back of a spoon. DO NOT BOIL. But if you do, see above, it is salvageable.

Pour custard through sieve into a clean bowl. Add chocolate and stir until it is melted. Then add vanilla and cocoa. Mix well and chill a few hours before processing. Put into ice cream maker about 30 minutes before you wish to serve it. It tastes best when smooth and creamy.

A note on ice cream makers. I use an old Krups machine. Basically it has a bowl that you put in the freezer for about 8 hours. You then put the chilled ice cream mixture in it and there is a paddle like attachment that goes around the inside of the bowl and scrapes off the frozen mixture. It's a pretty easy machine. I know people who swear by the White Mountain ice cream makers with the rock salt and the crank or motor. I have never had the pleasure of using one, so I can't judge. I just got my free Kitchen Aid attachment ice cream maker that came with my new mixer, but I see no reason to use it. I will probably regift it. So go get your cones and your wooden spoons and cool off with a home made ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. I totally LOVE the ice cream cone holders and cups too!

    Your ice cream looks fantastic, I use to have an ice cream machine and made it every week....I miss it looking at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the accessories! I wish I used my ice cream maker more, but oh, the calories!

    ReplyDelete