Friday, May 18, 2012

Salsa of the Tropics

Pin It
First jalepenos of the year from my garden!  In May!

How perfect, after making the tropical cookies, I make tropical salsa, lest you think all we eat is cookies!  This is a recipe I have been making for 20 years.  I got it from a friend in Georgia, written on a recipe card.  Those are a rare find these days, as we live in a cut and paste, email, print, kind of world.  I cherish my handwritten recipes.  Here's how it goes.



2 Mangoes, pitted, peeled, diced
4 Roma Tomatoes, seeded, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
5 small jalepenos, or to taste, diced
1 teaspoon cumin
generous shakes Crystal Hot Sauce
4 Tablespoons Sherry vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
fresh chopped parsley (it calls for cilantro, but hey, I'm a Petitti!)
2 fresh limes, zested and juiced

This OXO mango slicer is a must!


My cheater-chopper.  But everything is perfectly diced!

This is precisely the recipe I love my chopper for.  Everything is perfectly diced and sits nicely on a chip.  It is best eaten on the first or second day, the tomatoes seem to get progressively mushy after that.  But it is wonderful this time of year, and delicious with a light fish!  So what are you waiting for?  Get in there and cook!



No comments:

Post a Comment